[mythtv-users] High Memory Learning Remote

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Oct 19 17:17:43 EDT 2005

Calvin Harrigan wrote:

> Hi all, I've been reading through the archives looking for a suitable
> remote control to replace the one I'm using now.  The main reason is
> that the current remote has such a small memory foot print.  I'm using
> a learning remote control with a wireless keyboard pickup.  This works
> great except that it can only learn about 8  keys before running out
> of memory.  So what kind of remote controls are you guys using that
> learns enough to have full numeric and directional control.  I've
> thought about going the lirc route, but I use a lot of myths
> functionality, games, video, dvd, etc.  Getting lirc to work
> seemlessly with all those options (seperate programs) doesn't quite
> work.  I'd like to stay with keyboard inputs.  To that end, I've even
> considered writing a keyboard driver that can listen on the serial
> port for data to transmit directly to the lower levels of the console,
> hadn't looked in to it too deep, but sounds feasible.  Ideas?

I just bought a new One-For-All remote (URC-8910) at Amazon with the JP1
connector in it.  I also bought a JP1 cable and I plan to upload my
wireless keyboard configuration into it, bypassing the limited learning
memory.  The JP1 website has the mapping for my keyboard already in
their downloads section so it seems to be a simple matter to get it into
the remote and dump LIRC from my system.

Kevin