[mythtv-users] Video iPod

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:10:48 EDT 2005

On 10/18/05, John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com> wrote:
> MythTV Users,

> >> Will iTunes do that??  I didn't think iTunes handled
> >> transcoding/reencoding; the source material must be in the correct
> >> format/resolution to begin with, mustn't it?
> >>

>   I am not sure about iTunes, but I bet we could get it transcoded with
> the normal tools.
>
> >> -JAC
> >>

> > You'd have to use quicktime.  That's apple's "Answer".
>
>   I am not so sure. Take a look at:
>
> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/creatingvideo.html
>
> It does not say that QuickTime Pro is required. If you look at the bottom
> of the page the video formats that the iPod supports are listed. I thought
> we have the tools to put video into mp4 already.

That's not what I was saying... Apple's answer is that iTunes will not
handle any video editing/transcoding functions and that if you wanted
to use a video with the iPod and iTunes that you'd have to use an
external program.  Apple's answer to that is Quicktime, but that
doesn't mean it has to be the ONLY answer or OUR answer.

Matt