[mythtv-users] Capturing legacy VHS tapes

Manuel Lemos mlemos at acm.org
Wed Oct 19 13:10:21 EDT 2005

Hello,

on 10/19/2005 02:28 AM Steve Hodge said the following:
> On 10/19/05, Nathan Lutchansky <lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:16:49PM -0200, Manuel Lemos wrote:
>>> At last I managed to make Plextor ConvertX M402U to work under SuSE
>>> Linux 9.3 and MythTV to see the input video.
>> MythTV doesn't support MPEG2 on the ConvertX.  What you really want is a
>> tool that can capture from the ConvertX and output an MPEG2 program
>> stream suitable for feeding to dvdauthor, and I don't think such a thing
>> exists yet.  Maybe you could take the output from "gorecord -format
>> mpeg2-dvd" and process it with ffmpeg, but I've not tried this.  -Nathan
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding, Manuel is saying he has the card working
> with MPEG2 and MythTV. He doesn't need help on getting the card to

yes, you got that right.

> work. What he wants to know is the best way within MythTV to record
> something from a VHS tape - i.e. something that doesn't have an epg
> entry. I'm curious myself. I guess you could create a manual schedule,
> but is there an easier way?

Right, I know that MythTV was made mainly to record scheduled programs.
It seems superb for that purpose although it is not my main interest
right now.

The page with Linux drivers of this card recommends MythTV, but what I
want to do, start and end a recording anytime I want with creating a
schedule, does not seem to be possible or maybe it is not obvious to me.

Since I could not make any recording with any other program besides
MythTV and gorecord tool that comes with the drivers, I wonder if
anybody knows how I can achieve what with MythTV. Or shall I submit a
feature request for MythTV?

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos