[mythtv-users] MythPodder ... ?

Anthony Floyd anthonyfloyd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 00:26:27 EDT 2005

So, after reading through the various video iPod threads, and thinking
about some of the wishing that had gone on in the past about podcasts,
what if some effort was put into a "MythPodder" module?  This module
could (bear with me here, I'm blue-skying):

1) Download podcasts from RSS feeds
1a) OK, it'd be nice to take some of the podcast directories (OPML
anyone?) and display them for subscription as well as manually add
podcasts
1b) And, we'd want to set up a download schedule, retention limit, etc
(ala iPodder ?)

2) Organize said podcasts into a "Manage Recordings" type screen where
you have a list of podcasts you've subscribed to and a sub-list of
"episodes" of the podcast

3) Allow you to play these podcasts ala "Manage Recordings"

but also ...

4) Allow you to select recordings/videos to be "published" via a (or
several) RSS feeds from MythWeb
4a) After selecting the recording/video, it gets queued in the
transcode daemon's list, with appropriate settings to transcode it to
the video iPod format (which as far as I can tell, is limited to
480x480 mpeg-4 , 30 fps, using the available software ... I don't
think we can encode to H.264 with the available libraries such as
ffmpeg)
4b) After the transcode daemon is finished with it, through some
clever php scripting in the MythWeb interface it'd appear as an RSS
feed

5) Allow you to select music and podcasts to be presented as an RSS feed too...

In this way you could subscribe your iPods (or PDAs, desktops,
laptops, etc) to the MythWeb RSS feed, and view shows, recordings,
music, and podcasts.

Wouldn't that be great?

Comments/thoughts?

Anthony.