[mythtv-users] Alsa only seems to work with Root user not mythtv user

Mark Rissberger mrissbe1 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Oct 18 07:40:47 EDT 2005

Hello All,
   First off, I'd like to thank everyone that helped me get LIRC working
with the PVR150.  It works like a dream now.  The problem that I have
now seems like it may be a permission issue but I'm not sure where.  I
can't use ALSA if I'm logged in as the mythtv user but it works fine if
I'm logged in as root.  Here is what I get as root and as mythtv:

[root at mythbox /]# aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
[root at mythbox /]# exit
exit

[mythtv at mythbox /]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:797:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to create IPC shm
instance
aplay: main:533: audio open error: Permission denied

Here are the permissions of /dev/audio and /dev/dsp:

[mythtv at mythbox /]$ ls -l /dev/au*
crwxrwxrwx  1 mythtv root 14, 4 Oct 18 03:24 /dev/audio
[mythtv at mythbox /]$ ls -l /dev/dsp
crwxrwxrwx  1 mythtv root 14, 3 Oct 18 03:24 /dev/dsp

Any ideas????

Oh so close...............