[mythtv-users] Starting to think I should use Kaffeine instead of Mythtv

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Tue Oct 18 07:27:59 EDT 2005

Alex Cruz wrote:

> I suppose it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a HTPC,
>then MythTV is one option. There's also Freevo under Linux and several "free"
>one's under Windows.

Yes I tried Freevo.  Not too bad.  Mythtv has many more features, but if
the basics don't work then...

> As for picture quality in LiveTV and recording, what I
>am watching is acceptable for non-HD television.

What is frustrating is that the picture from my DVB card is excellent,
even in myth when it's not glitching.   Myth must be using it
differently to Kaffeine (which uses Xine) as obviously the drivers and
hardware are still the same.

Truly, I was blaming the antenna and all sorts of things until I
discovered Kaffeine doesn't suffer nearly as bad as myth.  Kaffeine only
show a glitch very occasionally.  Other TV's and digital set top boxes
in my house show virtually flawless pictures (we have a good strong
signal), but I did hear some stories that the twinhan cards used to need
a very strong signal, but then again I also read that the newer ones,
like my mini ter card, are a lot better.  Anyway, if Kaffeine, on the
same machine, can show a nice clean picture, then I think the rules out
signal problems (or does it?).

>On my system I use TV,
>Music, Videos, DVD, Images, Games, Weather and Phone. And yes, I prefer the
>old menu structure. Easier to navigate IMHO and the wifey prefers it  ;-)

Yes Myth has many nice features

>Also, not wanting to compile my own due to time restrictions (try explaining
>to a two year old why I have to compile the "TV"), I use KnoppMyth as my
>distribution. Yes, you will still need to tweak it and update a few drivers
>depending on your capture card but overall, it's worth it and does a good job
>(thanks, Cecil). As for themes, I am currently using a custom configuration
>of Myxer. Waiting for the iPod theme that's been posted on here several times
>to see if it'll look good on my set.
>
>As for support, I've found that between this mailing list and the KnoppMyth
>forums, all of my questions have been answered or I've been able to find them
>with the help of others.

Well, no replies to my current problems yet, not even any explanation of
what the advanced setting parameters for the DVB card mean.

>Myth can be extremely frustrating during the install
>and tweak time (believe me, I know). But IMHO, it's been worth it. I can open
>a browser and schedule recordings, I can listen to my MP3 collection using my
>stereo system instead of my laptop and headphones, being able to choose which
>"JoJo's Circus" my kid wants to watch on the TV, etc, etc. It's all in what
>you want to make it. And one thing no one will lie to you about: what type of
>hardware you use in which compenent (frontend or backend) makes a HUGE
>difference. I'm willing to help if I can. That's why I read this list and
>post when and what I am capable of helping with.
>
>-alex

And your input is most welcome, even a sympathetic ear can help :-)

I even considered buying a cheap analog card instead of the DVB card.
It wouldn't be wasted, even if I solve the DVB problems later, as it
would give me an analog video in, that the DVB card does not have.  But
the digital card is such a nice solution, if it works.  It's low on CPU,
no capturing/converting and the audio is mutilplexed into the digital
stream.

The thing is, even if I put up with the glitching, having the frontend
completely crash on playback of it's files is just so infuriating.  How
can bad input data cause a program to seg fault?  Seems like a serious
bug in there, as I said Kaffeine handles it nicely - hence my thinking a
newer version of myth, with some of the fixes that might be in the works
right now, would a real good thing !  <hint developer guys ! :-) >