[mythtv-users] apt-get upgrade = borked mythtv

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Mon Oct 17 12:30:49 EDT 2005

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Tom Hines wrote:
>
>> Hello.  I did an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade today and now my
>> system is borked.  I can't play any video files -- no recordings or
>> other.  I get one second of audio and a blank screen.  I see no error
>> messages in /var/log/messages or /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log.  My
>> system locks up with X taking up 99% cpu.  I have to kill  X to get
>> back to mythtv.  I tried running mplayer and xine from the command
>> line and I get the same symptom.  Mythbackend seems to be recording
>> away as usual, though.  I just can't watch any recordings.  Too bad, I
>> really want to watch the latest nip-tuck.
>>

> Word to the wise (and I'm sure this doesn't help you much now), but I
> think you're much better off keeping to the "if it ain't broke dont' fix
> it" philosophy with the underlying components that MythTV relies on such
> as the OS, QT, drivers, etc.  Unless you had some reason to upgrade
> every component in your system at once, I'd say, leave well enough alone.

      Good advice.  However, there are times when it's necessary.
Security being a good reason.  Running a system with vulnerable binaries
is asking for trouble.  Yes, even if you are behind a firewall.

      On machines where I care about not "bork"ing the system, I do a
"yum check-update" first and see what yum is going to install.  If
something might break the application on the system, I use more caution.

Chris...

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin