[mythtv-users] apt-get upgrade = borked mythtv

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Oct 17 11:08:53 EDT 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

>What sources do you have active? I find having Stable normally active with
>Testing and Unstable available but commented out lets me safely update and if
>I want to be bleeding edge I will enable Testing then Unstable in that order.
>I also find for some apps its better to enable Unstable source and build
>using Stable's dev packages using apt-get build. Sometimes though they will
>require new versions of other packages you have, at which point it takes some

I've done an apt-get upgrade of my (rarely used) slave backend, and one
frontend, and they both still work. I use Myth from source though, not
rpms. I still haven't worked up the nerve to do my main combined
front/backend (see next sentence!)

>more manual lovin' to get to work. But like you and the others have said, for
>a "my wife needs to watch desperate housewives tonight" system, just leave
>it ;-)

I'm surprised, yet not really, that this is so common... :) My wife
asked me yesterday why I didn't just give up and go back to regular
cable? My response was "Are you insane?" :) I think she would (secretly)
miss it as much as I would...now if I could only stop tinkering...

Tom