[mythtv-users] PVR-350 only records TV at MPEG-1 ??

Matt SF spore at psibercom.org
Sun Oct 16 23:26:44 EDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 03:24:54PM -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Matt, where are the appearance settings located in Myth's MySQL database?
> Kirk

when it comes to color, brightness, etc they all seem to live under
the channel table.  if you go into the db instance...(assuming the
defaults...)

mythtv at mythtv:/tmp$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

...and then select using the names for the appearance settings from the
table "channel" :

mysql> select brightness,contrast,colour from channel where chanid=1053;
+------------+----------+--------+
| brightness | contrast | colour |
+------------+----------+--------+
|      35328 |    40960 |  48578 |
+------------+----------+--------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

...you can see your current settings (the defaults are 32768, in a range
of 0-65535 (hopefully these numbers look familiar to you :) ))

I barely know SQL-fu so I just set them one line at a time...

mysql> update channel set brightness=35328;
mysql> update channel set contrast=40960;
mysql> update channel set colour=48578;

of course, your mileage may vary.  and you should see something similar to
this after each entry:

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)
Rows matched: 82  Changed: 0  Warnings: 0

then log out..
mysql> quit
Bye

note that if you have the mythweb page open to the channel settings, I
believe that just reloading the page could rewrite your settings.  so I
think it best to stop mythbackend for just a bit, prior to this operation.

note also, that the setting values for the PVR-350 are as follows (from
ivtvctl -h):

brightness    =<#> Picture brightness, or more precisely, the black level. [0 - 255]
saturation    =<#> Picture color saturation or chroma gain. [0 - 127]
contrast      =<#> Picture contrast or luma gain. [0 - 127]

and you can get the current settings with ivtvctl -Y (or test_ioctl for
the older versions i think)

mythtv at mythtv:/tmp$ ivtvctl -Y
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL
Brightness = 137
Contrast = 79
Saturation = 94
Hue = 0
Volume = 58950
Mute = 0

..and so need to be adjusted into the mythtv 16 bit values (0-65535).

I remember reading that one of the developers planned to put a "make these
settings the same for all channels" button, but I'm not sure where they
are on that.  Should make it a bit easier than the whoe conversion and
MySQL dance.

hope this helps!
-matt