[mythtv-users] apt-get upgrade = borked mythtv

Tom Hines tomhines at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 16:44:28 EDT 2005

On 10/15/05, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Word to the wise (and I'm sure this doesn't help you much now), but I
> think you're much better off keeping to the "if it ain't broke dont' fix
> it" philosophy with the underlying components that MythTV relies on such
> as the OS, QT, drivers, etc.  Unless you had some reason to upgrade
> every component in your system at once, I'd say, leave well enough alone.

Good advice -- which I had followed until this.  I started out wanting
to install Xine, so that I could play DVDs including menu.  Then I
remembered that I could never transcode anything, or rip DVDs from
Myth either.  And XvMC mpeg2 hw decoding never worked for my PVR-250
either.  Then I saw all these updates to MythTV and in a moment of
greed/weakness thought that these would all be magically fixed.  Oh
well, live and learn.

The irony is that my best hope for getting my Tomvo back up and
running is to do an apt-get upgrade every day until it just works.  At
least, that's all I can think of.

On 10/16/05, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> I'd love to know the etymology of that word.  Wikipedia says "possibly"
> related to the Swedish Chef (which was the first thing I thought of),
> although it could be an homage to the failed nomination of Robert Bork
> to the US Supreme Court.

I'd always assumed it was the latter.

Tom