[mythtv-users] xbox linux distros

mythtv at schurmann.org mythtv at schurmann.org
Sun Oct 16 12:05:35 EDT 2005

> So, you booted to your CDrom on your Xbox then to perform the install,
> correct? I thought you had FTP'd this into your Debian directory on
> your Xbox using the "loopback" method, I think I misunderstood... If
> this is the case, has anyone used the "loopback" method to do the FC4
> install and get a working Xbox...
> AJM,

not404.com has two installation methods online:

"Test 3 Installer" and
"Pre-Installed Loopback-FS Files for Test"

The latter is new and apparently has some kinks?

I did the "Test 3 Installer". Here are my steps in summary:
1. burn the installer to CD and put in the Xbox DVD drive
2. boot Xbox into Cromwell that I had installed via a hardware mod
(software mod would work as well) 3. Cromwell recognized that I had a
bootable image in the DVD drive, boot it 4. chose the
"Interactive;NoGame" option and went from there

Step 4 takes you into the Linux Anaconda installer.
not404.com had to tweak the installer a bit and one of the side effects
is that you need to keep the CD in the drive all the way through to the
end of the installation. This means that you have to point Anaconda at a
FC4 distribution via the network. For speed purposes I setup the FC4
distribution on a local machine and pointed Anacanonda to it via FTP.
One other trick I figured out is that I needed to be careful not to
choose too many options during this installation. I think the Xbox 64MB
limit causes Anaconda to barf if you choose too much. I excluded as much
KDE and Gnome stuff as I could and was fine. I use fluxbox as my window
manager which is much more lightweight.