[mythtv-users] Channel Setup

Richard Smith rick_t_smith at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 08:34:24 EDT 2005

Nick, that's really helpful (I failed to find this stuff in the
archives).  My 'problem' is that I live in the UK and have a PVR-350 and
a DVB card.  This means I get far more channels than I can or want to
watch, and certainly far to many to make debugging very easy.  So I want
to start with a small set of channels and gradually build up.  Just a
few follow up questions if I may.........

Nick wrote:

>On 14/10/05, Richard Smith <rick_t_smith at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I'm struggling to understand the mechanics of setting up the channel
>>information in Mythtv/XMLTV.
>>
>>What is the relationship between the channel.xmltv files and the channel
>>table in the database?
>>

>The xmltv files define the channels that the grabber will get for each
>video source. If using the uk_rt grabber, they will contain the XMLTV
>IDs of the channels which are defined in the channels table in the DB.
>The grabber then maps the XMLTV ID to the BBCs own numbering scheme
>for listings and retrieves the correct ones.

I've seen a suggestion that prefixing the channel name with 'not' will
stop mythfilldatabase from downloading channel information.  Is that
correct?  I'm not sure that I've seen that working.......

>>What does clearing the channels in mythtvsetup actually do?
>>

>It removes the channel definitions from the channels-related tables in
>the database.

'DELETE FROM channel WHERE TRUE' ? Or is it more complex?

>>What is the role of mythfilldatabase in respect of  the channel information?
>>

>It gets your listings using a grabber (using the xmltv files) or XML
>source file, and then, using the XMLTV IDs in the channels table,
>updates the program listings data in the database for the relevant
>channels.
>

>>What is the best way of managing a channel database?
>>

>(In the UK) Once it is defined, new channels are usually very rarely
>added (unless you don't want to add channels in one go). Therefore,
>there is very little in the way of required maintenance. If you do
>need to make changes to channels, you can either edit the DB directly
>via mysql, or use a visual DB editor.
>
>In the case of DVB, the system will detect new channels automatically.
>It is then up to you to decide how to rename it and associate a
>suitable XMLTV ID with it to make it work with your chosen grabber.

By changing the 'name' field and adding the XMLTV Id to the channel table?

>>Is this stuff documented anywhere, or shall I delve into the sourcecode?
>>

>It's mostly in the archives. I'm not sure if there is a canonical
>reference. Looking at the DB structure itself and understanding where
>data comes from and which fields are relevant is extremely useful if
>you have the time.
>
>Nick

Many thanks again,

Richard