[mythtv-users] Multiple frontend on one machine

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sun Oct 16 04:00:39 EDT 2005

The question reduces to running multiple X servers on one machine, each
going to a different video output.  You would also need multiple sound
cards.  I think alsa can handle that differentiation.

You may be able to run each session in a chroot area separate from the
main one to keep things organized.  You might need to use different
types of remotes (usb/ir/wireless ir keyboard) for the different ones.
Of course it might be possible to just use two ir receivers, one on com1
and another on com2 and run separate lirc sessions in the chroot
environment.

I'm guessing getting this to two off of one would be rather tedious with
extras being even harder.  This sounds like it could potentially be a
large amount of work and I'm not sure if it would work.

A hybrid idea might be to do something where X is using two screens and
you maximize a mythfrontend on each...  I believe this is called
xinerama.

-Robert