[mythtv-users] DVB-T Low Signal / High SNR

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 14:44:16 EDT 2005

On 15/10/05, Paul Raison <paul at raison.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi, just trying to setup Mythtv using a Pinnacle 300i DVB-T card. When
> scanning for channels I'm seeing the signal strength around 10-20% and
> Signal / Noise around 60-70%. It does find channels, but any attempt to
> watch them results in blocky / stuttering video. I get the same with
> command line outside of Mythtv
>
> I know that the signal from the aerial is fine, as I have a standalone
> STB and see signal strength of around 90%.
>
> I've been fighting with this for several days and have been tearing my
> hair out!! Before I give up on the project, does anybody have any ideas
> of what to check, possible probs etc?

If you're using a splitter to give 2 aerial outputs, make sure it is
OK (i.e. if one output is going into the STB and the other into the
DVB card, check the cables etc.)

Other than that, I'd double check using another piece of software like
Kaffeine which has full DVB support and see if it can scan and display
them any better. I've seen reports of scan and signal strength data
being misleading occasionally, but if the picture is breaking up, this
normally means the card's is not getting a strong enough signal. I've
also seen first hand different reception quality between different DVB
cards, so maybe the Pinnacle is a bit more choosy!

Nick