[mythtv-users] why do i have a 2 gig limit on avi files

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 01:41:39 EDT 2005

It could be a few things.

The first is that the particular filetype (like early
AVI, there apparently is a fix on Windows) is
restricted to 2GB.

The second is that the program itself does not support
 "large file access".  Here's some info on large file
access:
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html
Bascially, you either need to use the proper file
calls (like open64), or compile your program with
special flags.  For something that I was developing at
work (playing with DVB streams, which can be quite
large) under Fedora Core 3, I needed to do this,
otherwise I hit the 2GB file limit.

Finally, your filesystem itself might have a 2GB file
limit.  This depends mostly on your kernel version it
seems.

-- Joe