[mythtv-users] Help converting HD recording to burn to dvd

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 20:53:10 UTC 2005

On 10/13/05, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 20:27, Byron Poland wrote:
> > I am recording something for a friend.  I have an HD only back end.
> > Does anyone have a formula for going from a HD mpeg2 stream to a DVD
> > compatible mpeg2 stream?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> run through ProjectX, edit and convert in avidemux2.
>
> Steve

Thanks for the tip.

I recorded the nova einstein e=mc2 program from pbs, and ran it
through  the demuxer on ProjectX, and got a ton of errors, and an
audio stream only.  full program stream plays fine on my  frontend.

I'm currently running the mpeg through mplayer to rescale, and dump to
yuv and piping the yuv output to mpeg2enc to encode back to the dvd
complient stream.

I'm a little baffled though as the original program stream seems to be
a mix of 24fps and 30fps.  Mplayer is dumping the following messages
as it dumps to yuv:

demux_mpg: 24fps progressive NTSC content detected, switching framerate.
V:71858.3 20301/19944 36% 98%  0.0% 0 0 43%
demux_mpg: 30fps NTSC content detected, switching framerate.
Warning! FPS changed 23.976 -> 29.970  (-5.994000) [4]
V:71863.9 20468/20107 36% 98%  0.0% 0 0 36%
demux_mpg: 24fps progressive NTSC content detected, switching framerate.

The errors in ProjectX and then the multiple fps all seem strange to me.