[mythtv-users] Highest number of simultaneous streams recorded?

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 02:56:12 EDT 2005

 > What is the most number of streams anyone on the list has simultaneously
> recorded without problem?  I assume recording 2 streams while watching a
> third has been done, but has it been done with no loss in quality, etc?
> How about 3 streams?  HD + an analog stream?  I'd like to get an idea of
> what my limitations and potentials are before I get too deep in my
> current project.

we have 2 pvr-500's and we regularily record 4 streams at once at an
average bitrate of about 4500 without any loss of quality.  we have
actually been contemplating putting another 500 into the mix.  the
bitrates of the recordings on a pvr-500 are miniscule compared to the
throughput of a modern drive, though latency could be an issue i guess
with a large number of streams.

i just tried it and we have now recorded 4 shows and watched all four
on four different frontends simultaneously without the backend
breaking a sweat.  though, my roommates did look at me funny as i ran
around the house turning on all the tvs.