[mythtv-users] Pull my hair out over DVI->HDMI for my HDTV

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Fri Oct 14 01:26:47 EDT 2005

One thing I find interesting is that
1920x1080=2073600 and
1600x1200=1920000 (common dvi resolution for lcd displays.)

So from a pure bandwidth prospective DVI might be able to handle it.
I'm not sure this is useful but I figured out a combinations that should
take similar bandwidth to 1600x1200 and are the same aspect ratio as
1920x1080..

1920x1080 = 2073600     <-- HDTV res
1920/1080 = 1.777       <-- HDTV pixel aspect ratio

[A smaller resolution that should be similar bandwidth to 1600x1200]
1848 x 1040 = 1921920
1848/1040 = 1.777
%screen utilization = 1921920/2073600 = 93%

[Slightly smaller still.]
1840x1032= 1898880
1840/1032= 1.78
$screen utilization = 92%

I suspect either the dvi spec just doesn't support it, or maybe the
chips used can't handle that rate.  Still if someone was bored and could
enter an arbitrary resolution, I'd be curious what is the highest dvi
resolution obtainable was.  I suppose the results are not terribly
interesting other than from an academic standpoint since most people
wouldn't want to give up a significant amount of screen area regardless.

-Robert Denier