[mythtv-users] Highest number of simultaneous streams recorded?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 13 20:49:11 EDT 2005

Anand_Inala at Dell.com wrote:

>What is the most number of streams anyone on the list has simultaneously
>recorded without problem?  I assume recording 2 streams while watching a
>third has been done, but has it been done with no loss in quality, etc?
>How about 3 streams?

Recorded 4 shows while watching one pre-recorded using 4xPVR-250's in a
single combined FE/BE (that's also running all sorts of services--Samba,
Apache, FTP, ...) with no loss of quality.

>  HD + an analog stream?

Don't yet have an HDTV setup in place.

>  I'd like to get an idea of
>what my limitations and potentials are before I get too deep in my
>current project.

Using Hauppauge PVR-x50's or HDTV capture cards takes virtually no CPU
and even HDTV has a relatively low bitrate compared to UDMA-enabled hard
drives, but if all else fails, just set up another backend...

Mike