[mythtv-users] Highest number of simultaneous streams recorded?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 19:50:01 EDT 2005

I've recorded three SD streams off of analog cable
using a PVR-350 and a PVR-500, while watching a fourth
(or sometimes one of the three).  The CPU usage for
the recording is very low because of the hardware
MPEG-2 encoders in the capture cards.  No loss in
stream quality.

The question that you ask is very vague, because you
don't mention what capture hardware you have.  An
analog BT8x8 card is much more CPU intensive than a
PVR-x50, for instance.

I don't think that you can capture an HD stream
(though I may be wrong on this).  There are no HD
capture cards that I'm aware of (the bandwidth for HD
is insanely huge), and the set-top boxes that support
Firewire output downsample the output (how far, I
don't know).

-- Joe