[mythtv-users] mysql access problem

Ben Holt beanjammin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 18:08:31 EDT 2005

On 13/10/05, Martin West <martin.west at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> I ran the install mc.sql OK but when I run mythtvsetup I get an error
> saying authentication protocol not supported. I can logon using mysql -u
> mythtv -p at a command line. Im using mysql 4.1.9 on FC3.
>
> Any thoughts?

It looks like your mythtv version was compiled against an older mysql
version.  4.1 uses a different format than earlier versions.  Here's
what you need to do:

mysql -u root -p mysql
(enter root password)

update user SET Password=OLD_PASSWORD('<mythtv user password>') where
User='<mythtv username>';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
exit;

Mythtv should now be able to access your database again.

- Ben