[mythtv-users] ITX vs ATX for dual-DVB system

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Tue Oct 11 21:17:14 UTC 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 00:05, Nick wrote:
> On 08/10/05, Jules Bean <jules at jellybean.co.uk> wrote:
> > The system will be for watching DVB-T digital broadcast TV, as well as
> > DVDs. This means that it presumably doesn't need to be terribly
> > powerful from a CPU point of view? No encoding or transcoding to do.
> > It will be in the living room, under the TV, so it has to be quiet and
> > look reasonable. No HDTV; I doubt we'll have HDTV DVB in the UK for a
> > few years.
>
> For few, read "likely when hell freezes over ...!" Just wait until
> they start pumping out proper 1080 video and all those people who
> bought HDTV-ready plasmas and LCDs (with a native v-res of 720 pixels)
> realise they've been shafted...

taken from "http://www.eicta.org/files/LicenseAgreement-114914A.pdf"

the HD-Ready campaign being run in Europe defines HD-Ready thus:
4. Requirements for the logo “HD ready”
The EICTA "HD ready" Minimum Requirements for display devices are neutral
towards the technology used (plasma, LCD, DLP, DLA, LCoS, CRT, ...) as well
as the implementation thereof (flat panel, rear projection, front projection,
direct view, ...).

A display device has to cover the following requirements to be awarded the
logo “HD ready”:

1. Display, display engine

The minimum native resolution of the display or display engine is 720 physical
lines in wide aspect ratio.

2. Video Interfaces

The display device accepts HD input via Analogue YPbPr1, and DVI or HDMI

HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz
progressive (“720p”), and 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced (“1080i”)

The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDCP)
so as you see HD-Ready means support for 720p and (note the and - it is not an
or) 1080i. sky has announced that they will start broadcasting in early 2006.
i am sure they will do so in time for the world cup (9th june 2006)

--
simon
ps so hell freezes over on the 8th june 2006 (at the latest)