[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV Home Automation

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 20:38:12 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, Mat Kyne <matkyne at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have come to assume that the people that frequent this list have
> interests
> similar to my own. (The ever-persistent desire to make one thing do many
> things). So I am looking for some advice. I would like to automate various
> appliances around my house using X-10 modules, but have them controlled by
> my computer. I am aware of Mister Home, and it looks cool, but it doesn't
> seem to do what I am looking for.
>
> What I would like to do is call my computer, and via touch-tones control
> the
> X-10 devices. I have DSL, and NEVER use my home phone line. So if I hooked
> it up to a cheap $10 modem card, would it be possible to do this? An
> example
> might be to call home and turn on the AC on the way home from school by
> punching in *9. Or be able to call home as I am pulling out of the drive
> way
> in the morning to turn off the porch light by pushing *8.
>
> It seems to me that this is old technology, so it might already be out
> there
> - maybe even so old that no one knows about it any more. (Like Windows 3.1
> )
> Any pointers as to where to look would be greatly appreciated. -Mat

Oh, I'm all over this. I had this working fantasically when I rented an
apartment, but now that I bought a house, I haven't had the time to get it
set up on a larger scale.

You want to use Heyu, and basically everything can be controlled from cron
or commands via ssh. I didn't have the phone part, as I was more happy with
being able to ssh in and turn the module on or off.

I also had motion sensors in the spare rooms, the hallway, the bathroom, and
other seldom used rooms to turn the lights on and off. And I had the outside
light controlled from the remote keychain. I programmed in an advanced
feature for my then girlfriend, now wife that when she went to the bathroom
after 11pm, the light would gradually brighten up to 50% and after she left
it would dim back down to off. This was alot better for her eyes. I was also
into homepower.com <http://homepower.com> and was looking at saving money.

Since this isn't anything to do with mythtv, feel free to email me off list
and I'll gladly help you out all I can.

-=/>Thom

--
-=/>Thom