[mythtv-users] dumb low power backend... questions on proposed setup

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 03:35:13 UTC 2005

Andrew Wilson wrote:
> I'm considering rearranging my setup as follows, and I need some advice.

8<  8< Snip questions I don't know the answer to.

> - If this is not possible, How quick / how reliable is Wake-On-LAN?

it's reliable, the speed is the same as the unattended boot time of your PC

> - Is it possible to do WOL using a USB Wifi adapter?

Some BIOSes claim to support power on on USB activity but I don't know,
also if you can avoid using a USB Ethernet adapter I would as they're
reportedly slow and aren't supported buy Linux .

8<  8< Snip questions I don't know the answer to.

> - Would using a flash device for boot instead of a disk speed things up?

On the whole flash drives are slower than hard drives so no.

> Any helpful advice much appreciated.

Have you considered a low power, always on master backend with no tuner
- DVB cards in it, just a load of hard drives, it can wake a front end -
slave backend box with the TV cards installed when a recording is
scheduled using WOL?

--
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 34132, rev = J158,
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)