[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio - possible advert filter cue

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Oct 10 20:54:12 UTC 2005

> One thing I have noticed is that there is a discontinuity between the
> program and the adverts. More often than not this is accompanied by an
> aspect ratio shift. This does, in a minute number of cases, cause myth
> to trip over and die .. but that's not what I am writing about. It
> occurred to me that the discontinuities could be used as a deadly
> accurate cue to clip out adverts.

The current commercial flagging code does take aspect ratio changes
into account.  If you run mythbackend (or mythcommflag) with the
"-v commflag" option, you should see some messages like this in your
logs if it is correctly detecting the change.

	Aspect Ratio changed from 1.3333 to 1.7777 at frame 10343

Do you see any messages like these in your logs?

The flagger code checks with the player to see what the aspect ratio
is for each frame and keeps track of the changes so it can use that
during the analysis phase.

--
Chris