[mythtv-users] dvb sound drops out?

Denis Cheong denis at denisandyuki.net
Mon Oct 10 12:47:19 UTC 2005

FWIW, I've just got rid of this same problem myself (loss of audio, need
to hit "-" or "+" to get it working, doesn't always work then anyway).

Original server (with the problem existing ONLY on the USB tuner):
Pentium III 866 dual-CPU server on AOpen motherboard
Hauppauge Nova-T PCI
DigitalNow TinyUSB 2 DVB T Receiver connected to USB 2.0 PCI card (mobo
has no USB 2.0 ports and device requires it).

Previous (temporary) server (acting as slave backend, the problem did
NOT exist):
Asus Pundit (not -R) Pentium 4 2800
Normally runs only frontend, was running as slave backend as temporary
measure (before I got the USB 2.0 PCI card for the original server)
DigitalNow TinyUSB 2 DVB T Receiver connected to native USB 2.0 bus.

New server (the problem no longer exists):
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra with Athlon 2800+ CPU
Hauppauge Nova-T PCI (from previous server)
DigitalNow TinyUSB 2 DVB T Receiver connected to native USB 2.0 bus.

My conclusion ... the bandwidth was stretched on the original server was
stretched to the point that it could not handle all of the data going
backwards and forwards (it's not a case of CPU utilisation as that was
always low, it's the various limited bus bandwidths PCI &
northbridge/southbridge links).  The USB card was a second and lower
priority card in the original server, which meant that it was only used
when the Hauppauge card was recording already, and with the USB card
running over the PCI bus (rather than hanging off a USB port on the
southbridge) it was consuming a significant amount of the total
bandwidth and the system ended up dropping interrupts or otherwise
losing data (as if the reception was poor).  Now on the new server with
more modern hardware (USB 2.0 directly on southbridge, etc) the problem
has gone away (and wife is happy).  I may be completely wrong, of
course, but it's certainly believable/arguable (?).

btw - corruption in the DVB stream will also explain the strange
behaviour you're seeing where some applications can recover /
reinterpret the missed data.  I had the same thing with my streams,
usually using PVA Strumento to convert them to true PS streams would
result in many lost & gained audio frames and usually an unusable mpeg
file.  Reception should also be identical between the two devices as
they both hang off the same signal amplifier/splitter, so it's not a
signal quality issue.

Denis