[mythtv-users] Possible MythWeb bug: When using a power search recording rule, ability to not record certain matches fails

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Oct 9 01:12:33 UTC 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>
>> Only noticed today when I set up a rule for the remaining Formula 1
>> races (I have a friend trackside for both upcoming races).
>>
>> I set up the rule on a frontend and it worked a treat, picking out all
>> the matching programs as I'd expect. There are several repeats (a
>> repeat of the race at a more civilised hour for those starting very
>> early, the repeated highlights, and then the whole race repeated later
>> in the week.
>>
>> I almost always use the MythWeb interface to control my recordings, so
>> when I went to manually cancel the extra showing I didn't want
>> recorded, nothing seemed to change, and the showings were still set to
>> record.
>>

> MythWeb does not (yet) support custom record rules.  You have two
> options when using MythWeb for scheduling:  1)  patch it yourself to
> support custom record, or 2) remember your custom record rules, identify

All of the search types store the search info in the string for
'record.description'. Most likely, mythweb is replacing that with the
description of the current showing when a change is made. If so, this
would also be a problem when making changes to Title or Keyword or
People rules too. Someone with PHP chops may want to fix this.

Also, the underlying functionality to allow unlimited search capabilities
is record.search=1 (kPowerSearch) which takes the SQL in the description
into the queries in the scheduler. Search Words->Advanced uses this as
does Custom Record. Custom Record is just a minimal wrapper interface
to help users build valid kPowerSearch rules. It should be possible
to build an even better interface from mythweb using HTML forms. Text
entry would be more natural, there would be more room for explanations
and examples and so on. Nigel at one time suggested an interface like
Mozilla's mail filters where you set criteria a line at a time and
click "More" to add another criteria. Each clause that needs data
could have a widget for whatever data it needs like a spinbox for
a list of numbers like hour 0-23, a dropdown for a list of strings
like category_type, or a text entry box for a title. This may be an
interesting and worthwhile project for someone who wants to contribute
their PHP skills.

--  bjm