[mythtv-users] PVR-30 - Could not find suitable XVideo surface

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 8 14:39:07 UTC 2005

Trevor Kramer wrote:

> I already had that set - interestedly if I unset it I see the same
> effect - so it is bypassing whatever PVR-350 optimizations there are.
>
> On Oct 7, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Nathan Hesson wrote:
>
>> In the Frontend setup you need to enable TV-Out via the 350's
>> decoder.  I will look where it is exactly when I get home but the
>> option is there.  (I think it is in Setup->TV->Playback (probably way
>> off though).

Do you auto-transcode your recordings to something other than MPEG-2?
If so, then they won't play back through the PVR-350's MPEG decoder, as
it can only handle MPEG-2.  You'll need to enable Xv support in the ivtv
driver to get smooth playback of non-MPEG-2 video on a PVR-350.  Search
the list; there have been some threads recently on how to do this & what
version of the ivtv driver you need.  Also check out the ivtv-users list.

-JAC