[mythtv-users] Re: Comcast being coy?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 16:57:31 UTC 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 12:29, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Friday 07 October 2005 12:04, Alex Brekken wrote:
> > No, you don't need (or want) the DVR version. The DCT-6200 box is what
> > you want. The Comcast reps definitely don't know what they're talking
> > about, and have no idea what Firewire is. However, if you have them
> > search their knowledge base for "IEEE-1394" (the technical name for
> > Firewire) they will find a blurb that states how "they must enable the
> > port due to a new law/regulation blah blah blah." Regardless, just
> > have them send you a 6200 and you'll be fine.
>
> Of course, there's nothing that says they can't force you to upgrade.
> They could very well drop the 6200 and say "well, the only
> firewire-capable box we have is the DVR version, so if you want
> firewire you'll have to upgrade to DVR."  Bastards.
>
> -JAC

Adelphia, who I used to have only has 1 box. If you get it as a DVR it comes
with a harddrive and they charge an extra $5 for the box and then i think $10
for the "service" because their box (and I think the motorola's as well)
require a main server at the cable company to provide the DVR stuff. I don't
know if the motorola's work this way or not though... Does comcast charge a
DVR fee on top of the box charge?

--
Steve