[mythtv-users] MythTV Filled Hard drive MySQL service will notstart at boot.

Andrew Plumb aplumb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:47:44 UTC 2005

Keep an eye on the number of files in /var/log and subdirectories, not just
their sizes.

I once had a situation (not MythTV related) where a bunch of travelling
workshop laptops all started to fail for some unknown reason. There was
still plenty of physical space on the drives, but a little daemon that was
looking for network connections had created thousands of little files; the
root file systems had run out of *address* space. It was manifesting as "out
of space" errors.

Good luck!

Andrew.

On 07 Oct 2005 07:13:48 -0700, Jim Reith <reith at racores.com> wrote:

> At 10:01 AM 10/7/2005, you wrote:
> >My mythbackend.log file is just 6K, so I don't think that is the problem.
> >Any other suggestions?
> >
> >Chris
>
> When my system crashed and died, it was the system logs that overfilled
> and
> caused it to crash. On my distribution they were in /var/log/ (messages*
> for example) It got to the point where my system couldn't boot because it
> couldn't write the "out of space" log entry because the log was "out of
> space"... duh! If you don't have separate partitions set up that could
> fill
> up the file system. Use the df and du commands to find where it's being
> hogged (and use man df or man du to see what they tell you)
>
> Jim

If you don't know what to do, do something.