[mythtv-users] Australian channel scan

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Thu Oct 6 17:05:14 UTC 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:
>>The tzap pointer has helped a lot.  tzap showed me the card was working,
>>and data from the channel.conf* files got me through the channel scan -
>>sort of.  I get SBS 1, 2, and EPG, but I need to use the browse function
>>to switch between them.  The arrow keys don't work.
>>
>>After the first scan I got one ABC channel and 3 SBS.  I could only
>>watch the ABC.  At that point I had not tried the browse bit yet, so SBS
>>was probably there.  Then I stuffed up and started over.  Now I get the
>>SBS channels but cannot get a lock on the ABC.
>

> Not sure if I understand that, but just wanted to make sure you're
> aware that you have to do a channel scan for _each_ frequency. So for
> Aussie free-to-air, you'll need to do 5 lots of channel scans with a
> different frequency each time. At the end of all that you will have
> the channel info for all channels and should be able to watch them.
> You may also, after that, need to update the XMLTVID in the channel
> editor to match your tv_grab_au.
>
> Regards,
> Phill

Thanks Phill.  I worked that out.  I can get SBS scanned OK, but  the
ABC scan fails consistently.  tzap seems to think there is something
there to lock onto, but mythtv's scan gets a lock for about 10 seconds
and then drops out.

Somewhere it's getting 226500000 Hz.  Don't know where.  I'm not
entering it.  I need, and entered, 585500000.

Also, when scanning SBS (571625000) the channels are found when
CurrenTID=2.  Then when it reports CurrenTID=3 it seems to go into an
endless loop with mythtv-setup using about 8% and an associated process
(forgot the name) using about 3%.  Nothing further is displayed until I
cancel the scan.

I know the card works because the Windows software supplied with it has
no problems displaying all the ABC channels, including radio.

Anyway, I've given up for now.  The last straw was that I started
getting mysql query errors when trying to browse the SBS channels.
I ripped everything out.  Perhaps I'll try again in a few days...

Thanks to all who offered help and advice.

Jim