[mythtv-users] running mythtv backend on VIA EPIA VT-310DP

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 6 18:02:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 12:02:01 -0400, Andrew Plumb wrote:
Has anyone had a chance to install+run MythTV, specifically the backend,
on
one of the new EPIA VT-310DP dual-proc/SMP boards?

http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_dp_spec.jsp?motherboardId=3D321

Any known gotchas running this with a PVR-500?

It's time for me to move the backend off the current machine, into the
basement. Once this is done my next step will be to replace my current
M10K+PVR-350 based machine with an SP13K or Nano based, fanless front-end
machine.

******************
Neat board. Gigahertz networking and HDTV level TV out!
Dual processors... at about 7 watts max each processor.  Supposed to run
fanless!

BUT, you have to recompile your kernel for SMP AND recompile every module
against that kernel.
And there is no guarantee that mythtvbackend has been written to take
advantage of SMP capabilities.

But now that this board is here, maybe mythtv should be SMP capable.
Having dual processors, even if the max CPU speed is only 1Ghz will really
speed up commercial detection etc.

Interesting that it only takes a max of 1Gig of memory....

HOW MUCH????

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638