[mythtv-users] minimum memory on backend?

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Thu Oct 6 14:52:36 UTC 2005

> What's the least memory I can get away with on a slave backend with 2x
> DVB tuners? The box will likely be a fanless EPIA 5000, and it won't
> be doing anything else at all...... So, it'll only have kernel, DVB
> drivers, network (inc WOL), mythbackend.
>
> Is 32MB sufficient, or do I need 64 (or 128?) My guess is it depends
> on how much buffering it's doing... Would be nice to hear form anyone
> who's actually tried it!

My Mythbackend (one PVR-250) currently has a VmSize of 176 MB. I would not
put less into the box, so I would go for 256 MB. The backend has to keep
pace with the recording cards, and that can be hard if large parts of the
buffers or code are swapped to disk.
When I was on MythTV 0.14 and 0.16 the system was not stable when I had too
little RAM. I am now using 0.18.1 which seems to be much more stable.
I am running both frontend and backend on the same PC, so I have 512 MB in
my box.

Niels Dybdahl