[mythtv-users] OSD display issue

Dan Wilga dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Wed Oct 5 13:43:20 UTC 2005

At 10:11 PM -0400 10/4/05, bleve wrote:
>I know this is probably a setting issue but could not find it.  I
>installed the latest Knoppmyth and when I try to change the OSD in
>the settings it does not change.  I can select a different OSD and
>the main OSD menu color may change but the channel guide is always
>the same.

I think you're a little confused about the terminology. OSD refers to
the style of the display that happens while video is playing, i.e.:
the progress bar that pops up when you press Pause or the channel
up/down buttons in browse mode.

The Guide's appearance is part of the main theme used by the rest of
the frontend. This is set in Settings->Appearance.

>When I change the guide to be opaque, it is still translucent as
>well.  How do I get the channel guide to become opaque?

You must be using a PVR-350. That's the only way the guide works when
your TV is connected to the output of a 350 (at least in current
stable versions; this may have changed in SVN, I'm not sure). The
reason is that the 350 can't efficiently display a small, PiP-style
image in the upper-right corner of the EPG the way other video cards
can, so the developers decided that showing it full-screen
translucent was the best compromise.

Later versions of the ivtv driver for the 350 include a much improved
framebuffer driver that should be able to handle the PiP-style
preview, but I don't know if Myth takes advantage of this yet.
Dan Wilga                                         dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu
Mount Holyoke College                                Tel: 413-538-3027
South Hadley, MA  01075            "Who left the cake out in the rain?"