[mythtv-users] How to issue command when starting a new recording?

kanetse at gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:16:57 UTC 2005

I have this problem where (for some unknown reason), MythTV will mute my TV
card's audio out periodically. This results in recordings with no audio.
It's not a frontend or sound card issue. I have found it can be re-enabled
by issuing a command to the v4l driver, namely, "v4lctl volume mute off".
 I tried putting this command into a cron job, but the problem is that
everytime it's run, it causes a 1/2 second blank out of the audio. I then
tried putting it into the "external command" for changing channels tuner,
but the problem is that when that happens, Myth doesn't change the channels
properly anymore because it thinks my unmute-volume script is doing the job.
 Is there some way that I could get MythTV to run my script when starting a
recording? Or how can I poll the MythTV tuner status? Since that info is not
stored in mythconverg, I was thinking of polling and parsing the last 1000
or so lines from the mythbackend log file every minute.
 Thanks!