[mythtv-users] unable to recognize channel

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Tue Oct 4 04:47:58 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have mythtv 0.18.1 installed and working fine on a Fedora 4 system, with
PVR-150MCE and a GeForce4 MX440 setup.

I don't really need to change channels in the sense that I expect the tuner
to tune away, because I simply have a S-Video input into the PVR-150, so the
video will always correspond to the input video source.

However, I do need to "tune" in the sense that I want the program
information to match what I'm watching, so that when I record, it'll have
the appropriate program info.

So what I have is a video source hooked up to Data Direct, and it grabs DISH
network info. My S-Video input is the S-Video output from a DISH receiver.

The problem I'm having is that if I bring up the guide (say by pressing
"S"), I can go to whatever channel I want, say channel 596 on DISH, and the
guide properly shows the programs and info for that channel. However, if I
select that channel, the "tune" doesn't happen. It's as if channel 596 were
invalid, so it simply stays on the current channel. Let's say that mythtv
starts up at channel 100, if I simulate going to 596 (either by typing in
596, or by going into the guide and selecting 596), mythtv pretty much
rejects it, and goes back to channel 100.

I tried altering my config so that the default channel is 596 (or some other
channel), but "watch tv" always defaults to 100 and I guess rejects the
other channel.

So I can never have the program info in synch with what is actually playing.

How can I fix this? I know that the Data Direct info is being picked up
because the tv guide has the whole lineup and shows the various channels...
but if I try to "tune" to that channel, it fails.

Again, I'm not really trying to tune, but I just want to be able to ensure
that whatever I'm watching is reflected on the current program information.

What am I missing?

thanks
Ricardo