[mythtv-users] Large-scale myth farm

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Oct 4 02:37:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 15:31 +0100, Illtud Daniel wrote:
> Anybody out there with experience of DVB subtitle capture on mythtv?
> Does mythtv only do 'live' subtitle decoding from the stream as it
> plays
With DVB it saves the DVB subtitle data directly in the recording,
then decodes the proper language subtitle on playback. With frame
grabber cards it decodes the captions/teletext during the recording
and saves them in the nuppelvideo container. With PVR-x50 it saves
only a portion of them in a completely ivtv specific format due to
hardware constraints of its MPEG encoder chip, we then decode this
data as we would with frame grabber caputered captions/teletext.

With ATSC we save the subtitles, but can not currently decode
the subtitles. (I implemented the spec, but it a very bad spec
and has little relation to actual ATSC captions.)

A note on the DVB subtitles, these are almost always images not
text. So there would need to be an OCR step if you wanted to be
able to say search them. All other systems use text for the
captions/teletext.

-- Daniel