[mythtv-users] No Audio

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 4 01:30:46 UTC 2005

Brandon Gawronski wrote:

> Hi… I’ve searched for a few weeks now and haven’t found any situations
> similar to mine. I try to do everything one step at a time. I’ve
> installed Fedora 4 Core and got my Hauppauge PVR 150 working with
> tvtime (http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/), comes installed in FC4. It
> tunes in all my channels, I can change channels, and I have audio.
>
> I then installed the mythtv components. Everything works great, I can
> pause, rewind, and record… the guide appears correctly on screen,
> wonderful. However…I don’t have any audio on Live TV or recorded
> programs. Am I correct in saying that MythTV uses mplayer for playback?

No. See http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.5 (specifically
the section, "Troubleshooting audio"). It even explains why xawtv (and
tvtime) are not good tests to see if audio is working properly.

> I’ve tried to use mplayer to play a regular *.mpg file… and it always
> come back with an error, no codec found, then the video plays with no
> audio… just like MythTV. When I google the error that I’m getting, it
> tells me to copy over some windows DLLs and a bunch of other
> craziness. Are these issues related?

Too soon to tell. Fix Myth, then try playing back a recording with MPlayer.

> If I get mplayer to work do you think MythTV will work?

Nope (unless getting MPlayer to work requires fixing Myth ;). Fix Myth
first.

> Any ideas..? Thanks for the help!

HTH.

Mike