AW: [mythtv-users] Large-scale myth farm

Illtud Daniel illtud.daniel at llgc.org.uk
Mon Oct 3 20:09:03 UTC 2005

Hi Neil,

> This is only relevant to Satellite capture cards really.

Ah - like top-up TV? I doubt if we have the right to capture anything
that's subscription based, only free to air.

> Another discussion about the way Myth handles the different forms of radio
> has just started over in the developers list,

I'll head on over to have a look.

> Also just like to say how impressed I am at your attitude towards Open
> Source and the Myth community for this project. Bearing in mind that Myth is
> a very fast moving project I see no reason why it couldn't give you, in
> time, all the features you could ever want and more.

I've used Open Source Software ever since I started working in
IT over ten years ago. MythTV's already done the hard work on
the scheduling & capture, I don't see why we can't leverage
that work and get stuff back into Myth (maybe we could look
at funding some dev work?). We're not a large institution in
the scale of things, and commercial offerings can come & go -
Free Software gives us assurances that other stuff can't, and
the freedom to integrate into our other systems. Our Digital
Asset Management System is paid for, but built upon Fedora,
the Open Source DAMS developed at Virginia & Cornell. We also
like to be a model for other instituions in Wales and beyond,
and Open Source means that we can offer full solutions for others
to download and learn from.

Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel at llgc.org.uk
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru                  National Library of Wales
Yn siarad drosof fy hun, nid LlGC   -  Speaking personally, not for NLW