[mythtv-users] MySQL: INNODB?

Dan Wilga dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Oct 3 18:31:00 UTC 2005

>I've been running with InnoDB for the last year; IMHO more reliable in
>case of system crashes where MyISAM tables tend to corrupt more easily
>(esp. recordmarkup).

I run a high-volume web site that uses MySQL for some pretty frequent
tasks, and haven't had any data corruption problems.

The thing to remember about MyISAM tables is that they are, at their
lowest level, Berkeley DB files. (See http://sleepycat.com). You will
have problems with BDB files if they are not stored on the machine
running MySQL (i.e.: they are accessed by NFS or the like.)

MySQL also has some pretty cool replication features, which I use to
back up all of my site's data to two other machines in real time.
It's a pain to set up, but works pretty well once it's turned on.
Dan Wilga                                         dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu
Mount Holyoke College                                Tel: 413-538-3027
South Hadley, MA  01075            "Who left the cake out in the rain?"