[mythtv-users] Channel 5 and 6, Black and White

Will potsofdirt at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 16:29:21 UTC 2005

After spending a whole bunch of time on this I have
found the following:

Comcast in MA says they use Standard cable frequency
table, however it appears that channels 5 and 6 are 2
MHz above the standard cable (us-cable) frequencies,
thus it seems Comcast in MA uses the IRC frequency
table. (http://www.jneuhaus.com/fccindex/cablech.html)
This can be fixed by setting the finetune in mythweb
to 32 (1 represents 0.0625 MHz, so 32 is 2.00 MHz) for
channels 5 and 6.

I used the atrpms package repository to install
ivtv-firmware-audio, ivtv-kmdl-$KVER and ivtv (via the
intructions on Jarod Wilson's guide,
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php). Something
in these packages appears to be the problem. After
removing these via yum and compiling the ivtv drivers
myself channels 5 and 6 now have color and tune
correctly.

Anyway, I hope this information may be useful to
others using the PVR 500 with Jarod's Guide and
Comcast in the future.