[mythtv-users] MythTV presentation at WSFII

Björn Svartengren svarten at svarten.com
Mon Oct 3 07:49:14 UTC 2005

Dewey Smolka wrote:

>I was a bit curious though when you mentioned businesses selling
>pre-built Myth systems and Myth accessories. I've seen systems for
>sale on ebay and such, and have seen some pretty poorly disguised Myth
>systems sold through dodgy web sites, but am unaware of any
>(legitimate) company making a real go at it.
>
>Selling and servicing Myth systems is something I've had in mind for a
>while, but I've been put off by a number of concerns. One of the
>larger problems -- program data -- has been addressed by LxM, but I'm
>still terrified of running into IP issues.
>
>Namely, whatever my opinion, DMCA is Federal Law here in the Land of
>the Free (TM), and Myth is full of potential violations. Yes, I know
>it's ridiculous, but there's no way (that I'm aware of, at least) to
>play DVDs, archive DVDs, play or achive copy-protected non-CDs, or
>record protected broadcast content on Linux without violating this
>law. In addition, because of the recent Grokster decision, a seller of
>Myth could potentially be held liable if someone records a TV show
>with a Myth and then sticks it on the internet.

MythiC.TV sels a pre installed system they call Dragon, link to it here:
http://mythic.tv/product_info.php?products_id=44

>While much of this is specific to the US, I'm just wonderin g if you
>know how people are getting around this or protecting themselves from
>it. I have absolute confidence that Myth would win if these things
>were ever tried in court, but I don't have the time or money to be the
>test case.

As you sayed most of the problems you mention are only a problem in US,
many other places
around the world have specific rules permitting backup copying of
software/movies/music for
personal use.

>Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble on at you, but just to congratulate
>you on a job well done.

Cheers,
  Svarten