[mythtv-users] [OT] Remote Help

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Sun Oct 2 10:57:57 UTC 2005

> >> /dev/lirc does not exist, however, /dev/lircd does when I run lircd –n.

I recently had same problem on FC3 (same output in messages). I had to
create the /dev/lirc devicenode before it would work.
I created it as described on http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-8.html:

# mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0

My steps for making the remote work something like the following:

1. # apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$KVER
2. # apt-get install lirc
 3. rename /lib/modules/$KVER/kernel/drivers/usb/input/ati_remote.ko to
something else (e.g ati_remote.ko.orig)
4. Add "alias char-major-61 lirc_atiusb" and "alias lirc_dev lirc_atiusb" to
modprobe.conf
5. # /sbin/chkconfig lircd on
6. Reboot to stop ati_remote.ko and start lircd
7. # mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0
8. # chmod 666 /dev/lirc*
8. I created my own lirc.conf with irrecord, because Litwillers
lirc.confdid not work. I did not check
www.lirc.org <http://www.lirc.org/> whether there were one that worked.
9. Test it with irw. Remember to kill mythfrontend so that mythfrontend does
not lock the device.
10. Download Litwillers http://www.litwiller.net/mythtv/lircrc.txt to
/home/~mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc

So I have both a /dev/lirc and a /dev/lircd. It did not work without the
/dev/lirc:

[root at PC133 ~]# ll /dev/li*
crw------- 1 root root 61, 0 8 sep 20:01 /dev/lirc
crw------- 1 root root 61, 0 8 sep 20:01 /dev/lirc0
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 11 sep 10:11 /dev/lircd

Best regards
Niels