[mythtv-users] Channel 2 and 4 video and audio

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sun Oct 2 05:51:08 UTC 2005

David Newman wrote:

> Myth 0.18.1 on FC3, AverTV card
>
> Everything works ok except that:
>
> 1. Channel 2 video is terrible and there's no audio
>
> 2. Channel 4 video is subpar not as good as other stations) and again
> there's no audio.
>
> /etc/modules.conf already has thie line to deal with SAP:
>
> options bttv audiomux=0xff44e gbuffers=32
>
> What else can do I to help fix channels 2 and 4?
>
> thanks
>
> dn

If it is like Australian analog free to air TV, then typical antennas
have 3 active elements, each being a dipole intended to cover a range of
frequencies across the broadcast band.  When just some channels that are
close together are not being received well, it is often due to a fault
with the element associated with those channels. Could be just a bit of
corrosion making the connection to that element bad. The lower
frequencies, the low numbered channels here, are often the more
troublesome, I have found.

Even if those channels look ok on another receiver, it could be that the
TV card in the PC requires better signal strength than the other
receiver.  Also, as per other suggestions, it can also be signal loss in
the distribution network and cabling. Is your coax old, do you have many
splitters, etc?