[mythtv-users] Help with new Kernel

Jonathan Tidmore jtidmore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:40:41 EST 2005

I'm assuming you didn't remove your older kernel or kernel modules.  The
easiest way to go back is to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and change the
default= parameter to your older kernel.  0 is the first kernel listed in
grub.conf, 1 is the 2nd, etc.  So if your grub.conf looks like the
following:

default=1
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1644_FC4)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1637_FC4)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4.img

Then kernel 1637 will boot by default.

You should be very careful about updating to new kernels.  I try to wait 3-4
weeks after a new kernel is released before upgrading so ATRPMs can catch up
and release new kernel modules for the latest kernel.  Also, new kernels
also mean new trouble.  There have been infamous kernel version that
destroyed ide drives and or damaged CPU.  The latest is not really the
greatest in Linux, the almost latest is the greatest ;).

On 11/30/05, Kirk Davis <Kirk.Davis at epsb.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>         I am following jarod's how-to for installing mythtv onto FC4.  I
> set everything up a couple of week ago and all was fine but I think FC4 has
> bumped the kernel version and I can't seem to get the kernel modules.  I'm
> not new to Unix but I am new to Linux so I'm a little lost.
>
>         I installed the OS and did the: yum upgrade  (so far so good).  It
> upgraded the system and installed the 2.6.14-1.1644-FC4 kernel.  Not I'm
> list because Axel doesn't seem to have the kernel modules for lirc, nvidia,
> ivtv (I need the development ones as I have a PVR-150) yet.
>
>         Should I wait or go back to an older kernel?  How to I go back to
> an older kernel?  I don't mind reinstalling from scratch as this is a new
> box that I'm setting up but if I do then how to I specify what kernel to
> upgrade things to.
>
>         Thanks
>
> ---- Kirk

Jonathan Tidmore