[mythtv-users] HELP: No TV after hw install of HD3000 (w/ PVR250 and FC4)

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Nov 30 18:00:48 EST 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Is [capture card] priority set by the field "Input Preference" in
>> mythtv-setup? If so, maybe the text should change with the word
>> "priority" in it.

It is a priority value that is added up with the other priority
values. It went in as 'preference' and could be changed but how
and why it's used is a little different concept than setting
priorities per se.

> Yeah.  It's really on the input level in case you have multiple inputs
> on the same card and one has poor reception or whatever, but it's
> generally easier to explain the choice of capture chards as a "card
> priority".

Or inputs on multiple cards. It says 'I'd rather see recordings
made on this cardinputid than on other inputs that may have channels
that broadcast the same show'.

>> How do you change the cardid? I'm sure it's in the archives
>> someplace... I searched. I'll look more... I imagine it can only be
>> changed in the dB.

I believe it is actually the cardinputid that makes the difference.

mysql> select cardinputid, cardid, sourceid, inputname from cardinput;
+-------------+--------+----------+------------+
| cardinputid | cardid | sourceid | inputname  |
+-------------+--------+----------+------------+
|           1 |      1 |        1 | Television |
|           2 |      2 |        1 | S-Video    |
+-------------+--------+----------+------------+

The cheap way to switch the order is to remove your first card input
for the source then add it again so that it becomes last. IOW say you
have input 1 and 2 but you want 2 to be the first choice. Run
mythtv-setup, go to Input connections and choose the item which
is currently the first input. Set the video source to "None" and
finish. Go back in and reset the video source and other parameters.

mysql> select cardinputid, cardid, sourceid, inputname from cardinput;
+-------------+--------+----------+------------+
| cardinputid | cardid | sourceid | inputname  |
+-------------+--------+----------+------------+
|           3 |      1 |        1 | Television |
|           2 |      2 |        1 | S-Video    |
+-------------+--------+----------+------------+

Input 2 on card 2 should now have first dibs over input 3 on card 1.

> Changing the cardid is a bit more complex.  There have been a couple of
> posts about resetting cardid (i.e.

The Adrian Monk monk way to do it is to make a db backup:

clear all your card data and start over by entering your best card
and input first followed by your next best and so on.

> but it shouldn't matter at all what numbers are used.  If you just want
> to change it because of priority, it's far easier to set the input
> preference.

It's worth noting that there is a difference between the input order
and input preference. Preference says that you would rather record
on that input even if it is a later showing. If "A" is on at 7 and
"B" is on at 7 and 10, "A" would record on 1 at 7 and "B" on 2 at 7
if the preferences are equal. If input 1 has a higher preference
then "A" would record on 1 at 7 and "B" on 1 at 10. If there was
another higher priority show at 10 then "B" would again record on
2 at 7.

--  bjm