[mythtv-users] I'm thinking of switching to windows :(

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:44:13 EST 2005

Mike Wafkowski wrote:

>Sorry for the misstep - I'm fully aware of the difference between freeware
>and OSS and anything else you can identify.
>
>I mistyped...geeze...
>
>Fact is tho, both packages are FREE for the user to use. Let's leave out the
>politics of OSS vs. everything else pleeeze!
>
>MRW

It is a good point though.  For someone just looking for something to
work GBPVR may be a good solution if they can get it up and running
easier than mythtv.  It is true that before I started my project I was
weighing all possibilities equally, whether they be in windows or
linux.  It so happened that absolutely nothing in windows had lax enough
hardware requirements for me (ati tv wonder and amd 1700+).  I also
tried freevo under linux and could just never get the damn thing to work
while following the howtos and instructions word for word.  That's the
funny thing, it turns out myth isn't even the hardest PVR of all of them
to set up, lol.  In truth although I will always recommend a linux over
windows for anything but gaming, I will say that for PVRs it is a lot
like gaming, in that the end justifies the means, if the machine finally
serves the function, and a lot of people just want to get one up and
running at all.