[mythtv-users] Cant get rid of the blue border lines (NVidia GForce 5200FX Card)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 30 13:46:50 EST 2005

Jonathan Tidmore wrote:

> On 11/30/05, *Jos Hoekstra* <joshoekstra at gmx.net
> <mailto:joshoekstra at gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     Shardayyy schreef:
>
>     > Can't seem to get rid of what I have seen online as the "The
>     blue line
>     > problem", the blue border is on top and on the left side of the
>     screen.
>     >
>     > I have also added this to my
>     /home/mythtv/.kde/Autostart/myth-load.sh
>     > file as suggested. (xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 66048)
>     >

>     "xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 0" I have here ;)

I highly recommend:

xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 1

or some other positive value that's close to 0.  A value of 0 is black,
and true black is very likely to be used on screen.  The value 1 or 10
is "close to black" (close enough you won't see the line), but is
different from 0 and far less likely to be used on screen.  Therefore,
if you use 1/10, black won't be replaced with video.

To see the effect, set the color key to 0 and start up an xterm with:

xterm -fg yellow -bg black

and put it on top of your video.  How's that for true, lightweight,
transparent windows (it actually allows you to write code for Myth while
watching recordings on Myth ;).  Now, set the color key to 1 and try the
same.

But, how often am I going to be working in an xterm on top of my video?
OK, maybe not often, but if using a color key of 0, *anything* that's
black will be affected (including black text on menus or in dialog
boxes).  This is very easy to see in xine with

video.device.xv_colorkey:0

in your ~/.xine/config file.  You'll notice the video window leaking
through your black menu text.

> Using xvattr doesn't really get rid of the line, it just gets rid of
> the blue by changing its color to blend in better with your TV
> border.  The way I got rid of the line altogether was adjusting my
> TVOverScan setting in xorg.conf so the video fit my TV better.

Which doesn't get rid of the line--it just pushes it off the edge of
your TV so you don't see it.  Also, this only works if you're using an
NTSC/PAL output.  If using VGA/DVI/..., this won't work.

Mike