[mythtv-users] multiple cards question

WR poi at planetofidiots.com
Wed Nov 30 13:45:31 EST 2005

> On 29/11/05, poi at planetofidiots.com <poi at planetofidiots.com> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Everything is running, and it's quite an excellent thing(!), but now I'd
> > like to add more cards...I've done the recommended edit in modules.d/ivtv
> > for a second card
> >
> > alias char-major-81-0
> > alias char-major-81-1
>
> What are you aliasing these to? E.g. in my setup (FC) I have
>
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>
> You would add another line for the second card:
>
> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
>
> > but ivtv doesnt seem to initialize it (1st card now running is pvr250,
> > 2nd card is pvr350). dmesg shows video0 is created, but not video1.
> >
> > I've got the CX88 kernel driver loaded as module, as well as the bttv.
> > Did I miss something in the config?
>
> What are you loading these drivers for?
>
> > gentoo
> > ivtv-0.4.0-r2
> > linux-2.6.14.2
> >
> > also want to add an HD3000 -- are all 3 of these likely to work well
> > together?
>
> They should all get along fine. I'd recommend using a new kernel and
> new ivtv release (they have finally managed to get ivtv ready for the
> kernel so users should experience less issues with module clashes).
>
> Nick

yes, those are aliasing to ivtv, just like yours.
I thought the drivers need to be loaded, but I guess not from your question!
Indeed, I removed the CX88 module and got my first tuner (pvr250) to work
again (it stopped after I added that).

Ok, so basically, when adding more cards, I just add more of those alias
lines, and the rest is automagical....(or is it?)

I'm not seeing the 2nd card (HD3000) initializing with ivtv in dmesg,
however...

still must be missing something. Does it work without initializing?

thanks for the help Nick
getin closer...