[mythtv-users] I'm thinking of switching to windows :(

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby2 at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 30 13:12:21 EST 2005

I happen to agree with the whole linux vs windows argument being a
non-starter.  Yes, Windows is an OS you can install in less than an hour
to have a working system, but then there are a lot of Linux distros
which allow you to do that aswell.  Don't forget that the Windows
install process is rarely ever over when you eject the CD.. all those
security updates that need reboots, followed by more updates &
reboots... you can easily kiss goodbye to the best part of a day doing a
fresh windows install & update-fest.

Then there's the thorny issue of getting tuner card hardware to work
properly.  You only have to take a quick look at a forum like
www.tv-cards.com/messageboard to determine what a nightmare capturing
video on any PC platform _can_ be.

I almost gave up on Linux a year ago when I first tried getting mythtv
working.  That was after giving up on trying to get my new tuner working
in Windows.  I stuck at it and after about a week's worth of late nights
I got the kernel modules working properly.  Getting mythtv installed &
running after that was a breeze - and it's been going ever since.

What I would've done if I hadn't got Linux to work doesn't even bear
thinking about - the only other option for me would be a standalone PVR
(eeeeeew!).

Anyway.. I say stick at it.  Yes, hardware can be a total pain in the
ass to get working in Linux, but when you do, it generally stays like
that.  Those tales of folks needing to reboot XP MCE every day haven't
come out of nowhere, I suspect.

And contrary to popular belief outside the Linux fraternity, Linux isn't
an OS that needs constant cuddling & massaging to keep working.  Or at
least not if you leave it alone (i.e. don't upgrade everything just
because there's an update available without making backups).

So.. do some digging & find out why your hardware isn't behaving itself
- or else stop whining & become yet another miserable Windows user ;-)

Just my opinion of course, for what it's worth.

Justin.